EU ETS compliance data for 2010 available in EEA data viewer
The EU Emissions Trading System (EU ETS) is one of the principal measures introduced by the EU to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions and meet greenhouse gas emission targets under both the Kyoto Protocol and the EU’s climate and energy package.
Today, the European Environment Agency (EEA) has updated an online data viewer with published data from 16 May 2011. The information includes actual totals for verified emissions, surrendered allowances, CER’s and ERU’s for 2010, with updates to some previous data. Data comes from verified emissions reported by countries to the EU’s Community Independent Transaction Log (CITL), run by the European Commission. The online data viewer is a tool for exploring the information contained in the CITL, aimed to support decision makers, market players and other stakeholders in their assessment of the EU ETS.
- Emission Trading Scheme (ETS) data viewer: http://dataservice.eea.europa.eu/PivotApp/pivot.aspx?pivotid=473
Notes on the 2010 EU ETS data
The EU ETS covers the 27 EU Member States as well as Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, which joined in 2008 (although until now there have been no data from Iceland included in the CITL). According to the latest data, the verified emissions from installations covered by the EU ETS (except for installations in Cyprus and Iceland) in 2010 are 1.933 million tons of CO2-equivalents. This is an increase of approximately 3 % compared to the emissions in 2009 (taking into account the latest 2009 data, published 16 April 2011). The 2010 verified emissions are, however, still 8.8 % lower than in 2008.
In total, companies included in the EU ETS have surrendered allowances representing 5.936 million tons of CO2-equivalents in the years 2008-2010 in order to comply with EU ETS regulations. Almost 95 % of the surrendered allowances have been allocated for free to companies or have been purchased by companies at auctions. The remaining 5 % of the allowances are Certified Emission Reductions (CER) and Emission Reduction Unit (ERU) credits. In the years 2008-2010, the companies surrendered 277 million tons of CO2–equivalent of CERs and 23 million tons of CO2-equivalent of ERUs. Nearly half of these CERs and ERUs were surrendered in 2010.
Share with others