All official European Union website addresses are in the europa.eu domain.See all EU institutions and bodies
This accessibility statement applies to content published on the domain: www.eea.europa.eu. It does not apply to other content or websites published on any of its subdomains. These websites and their content will have their own specific accessibility statement.
This website is managed by the European Environment Agency. It is designed to be used by as many people as possible, including persons with disabilities.
You should be able to:
- zoom up to 200% without problems
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using a modern screen reader and speech recognition software (on your computer or phone)
This website is designed to comply with the level ‘AA’ of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) version 2.1.
This website is partially compliant with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 Level AA. See ‘Non-accessible content’ for more details.
The website was last tested on 2 February 2023.
We welcome your feedback on the accessibility of this website. Please let us know if you encounter accessibility barriers:
- Contact form: Write to us (please refrain from providing sensitive information in the form, e.g. any information that would reveal personal financial information, information related to your health, or any other sensitive topic).
- See also our contact us page
We try to respond to feedback within 15 business days from the date of receipt of the enquiry by the responsible department.
Compatibility with browsers and assistive technology
This website is designed to be compatible with the following assistive technologies:
- the latest version of Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari and Brave browsers;
- in combination with the latest versions of JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver and TalkBack.
The accessibility of the this website relies on the following technologies to work with the particular combination of web browser and any assistive technologies or plugins installed on your computer:
Despite our best efforts to ensure the accessibility of this website, we are aware of some limitations. Below is a description of known limitations. Please contact us if you encounter an issue not listed below.
Known accessibillity limitations for this website:
- Video captions or transcripts: Some of our videos do not have captions or transcripts available to screen readers.
- Interactive maps: Interactive maps are not accessible to people with a vision impairment or users who rely on keyboard navigation.
- Interactive charts: Interactive charts are not accessible to people with a vision impairment or users who rely on keyboard navigation.
- Interactive dashboards (Tableau): Dashboards are not accessible to people with a vision impairment or users who rely on keyboard navigation.
- Infographics: Some of the infographics on our website have no or insufficient text alternatives for people with a vision impairment.
- Sharing: Users of this site can click on the share icon and share content on Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn. We are aware that this feature is not available to keyboard users or users of screen readers.
- Maps: Some content in the maps does not have a text alternative for people with a vision impairment.
- Charts: Most of our graphs and charts on this site are not fully accessible to screen reader users as they do not contain appropriate text alternatives.
- Image copyright info: Some of our images may have copyright text displayed on top of the image. The copyright text is available to screen readers and for people using such tools. However people with colour vision deficiency or other vision impairment may find it hard to read it due to the low contrast and font size.
- Tabs on search applications: The tabs used on our advanced search and datahub are not accessible to users who rely on keyboard navigation alone.
- Top site navigation: The top site navigation is fully accessible to keyboard users, however some links may look as "group" rather than an active link in assistive tools such as VoiceOver for people with a vision impairment.
Preparation of this statement
The statement is based on a review of a representative sample of web pages by a team of accessibility experts, using a combination of manual and automated testing.
This statement was first prepared on 2 February 2023.