All official European Union website addresses are in the europa.eu domain.See all EU institutions and bodies
This is the accessibility statement for www.eea.europa.eu managed by the European Environment Agency (EEA). This statement does not apply to any of its other subdomains.
The EEA’s website is designed to be used by as many people as possible, including persons with disabilities.
You should be able to:
- zoom up to 200% using your browser’s zoom settings;
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard;
- navigate most of the website using a modern screen reader and speech recognition software (on your computer or phone).
This website is partially compliant with European accessibility standards for ICT products and services EN 301 549 v 3.2.1, including Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 Level AA. Current known accessibility issues are listed under ‘Non-accessible content’.
Please let us know if you encounter accessibility barriers that are not mentioned in the ‘Non-accessible content’.
- Write to us (please refrain from providing sensitive information, e.g. any information that would reveal personal financial information, information related to your health, or any other sensitive topic).
- See also our contact us page
We try to respond to feedback within 15 business days from the date of receipt of the enquiry by the responsible department.
Compatibility with browsers and assistive technology
This website is designed to be compatible with the following assistive technologies:
- the latest version of Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari and Brave browsers;
- in combination with the latest versions of JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver and TalkBack.
The accessibility of this website relies on the following technologies to work with your browser and any assistive technologies or plugins installed on your computer:
Despite our best efforts to ensure the accessibility of this website, we are aware of some limitations. Below is a description of known limitations. Please contact us if you encounter an issue not listed below.
Known accessibillity limitations for this website:
- Font size: This website can be zoomed to 200% with browser zoom settings. However, browser or operation system font size settings do not apply to most of the pages.
- Video captions: Some of our videos do not have captions or audio descriptions.
- Interactive maps: Interactive maps are not accessible to people with a vision impairment or users who rely on keyboard navigation.
- Interactive charts: Interactive charts are not accessible to people with a vision impairment or users who rely on keyboard navigation.
- Interactive dashboards (Tableau): Dashboards are not accessible to people with a vision impairment or users who rely on keyboard navigation.
- Infographics: Some of the infographics on our website have no or insufficient text alternatives for people with a vision impairment.
- Images: Some of the images on the website have text alternatives that do not describe the image or repeat text that is already visible below the image which may be an issue for people with vision impairments who use screen readers.
- Maps: Some content in the maps does not have a text alternative for people with a vision impairment.
- Charts: Most of our graphs and charts are not fully accessible to screen reader users as they do not contain appropriate text alternatives. Some graphs are also not accessible to people with vision impairments as they use color to convey information.
- Image copyright info: Some of our images have copyright text displayed on top of the image. People with vision impairments may find them hard to read due to low color contrast and font size.
- Search tools: The tabs and filters on our advanced search and datahub are not accessible to users who rely on keyboard navigation or screen readers.
- Top site navigation: The top site navigation is not fully accessible to screen reader users as some of the links and expandable elements are read out as simple texts.
- Keyboard: On rare occasions, some buttons and expandable elements are not accessible to users who rely on keyboard navigation.
- Headings: Not all headings on this website follow a hierarchical heading structure.
- Links: Some in-text links are differentiated with color only and may not be well visible for people with vision impairments.
- Text color: On rare occasions, some texts on this site have low color contrast with their background and may not be well visible for people with vision impairments.
- Icons: Some clickable icons are not contrasted enough and may not be well visible for people with vision impairments.
- Anchor links: It is not possible with keyboard or screen readers to get a direct anchor link to the paragraph by clicking the link icon next to any heading.
- Accordions: Most expandable-collapsible buttons on this site are not accessible to users who rely on keyboard navigation or screen readers.
Preparation of this statement
The statement is based on a professional accessibility audit of a representative sample of web pages by an IAAP certified Web Accessibility Specialist, using a combination of manual and automated testing. The audit was done with Safari + VoiceOver and Chrome + JAWS.
This statement was first prepared on the 2nd of February 2023 and last updated on the 22nd of May 2023.