Validated monitoring data and air quality maps
Every year countries report air quality measurement data for a set of pollutants at a representative selection of stations. Reporting follows the requirements of the Council Decision 97/101/EC, a reciprocal Exchange of Information (EoI) on ambient air quality.
Statistics calculated on the reported data are also stored in AirBase.
AirBase is managed by the European Topic Centre on Air Pollution and Climate Change and Mitigation (ETC/ACM) on behalf of the EEA.
There is a large amount of data on Europe’s air quality over the last decade and you can browse it in different ways.
NOTE: there is a major update ongoing for all of the interactive maps mentioned below. New versions will be available soon.
- Map air quality statistics at reporting stations. Every year countries report air quality measurement data for a set of pollutants at a representative selection of stations.
You can examine the annual air quality statistics by using our collection of interactive maps.
- See interpolated maps showing air quality in Europe. The maps are derived from the measurement data at the stations in AirBase in combination with modelled output from EMEP and with other parameters. These maps are assessment tools for use at the European scale. They may show results which differ from assessments made at national scale. The example shows the interpolated map of annual averages for particulate matter (PM10) in the most recent year available.
- See where reporting stations are located, what their characteristics are and what they measured. Zoom in by clicking on the map or by writing the name of a place - to see the AirBase station locations in details. Click on a station to display its data.
- See zones in relation to EU air quality thresholds, every year EU Member States provide an assessment of air quality by comparing each of the EU air quality thresholds. The maps show information which has been reported for the zones designated by the country under the Framework Directive on ambient air quality (96/62/EC).
- Validated: you can download the complete set of AirBase data (station and network information, air quality measurements and aggregated statistics) from EEA data service. A detailed technical description is available as accompanying information.