SOER 2015 — The European environment — state and outlook 2015
- Synthesis report
- Global megatrends
- European briefings
- Cross-country comparisons
- Countries and regions
The synthesis report informs future European environmental policy in general and its implementation between 2015 and 2020 in particular. It includes a reflection on the European environment in a global context, as well as chapters summarising the state of, trends in, and prospects for the environment in Europe.
The global megatrends report assesses 11 global megatrends (GMT) of importance for Europe’s environment in the long term. In assessing key drivers, trends and implications for Europe, it aims to provide an improved basis for strategic European environmental policymaking.
- Setting the scene
- Diverging global population trends (GMT 1)
- Towards a more urban world (GMT 2)
- Changing disease burdens and risks of pandemics (GMT 3)
- Accelerating technological change (GMT 4)
- Continued economic growth? (GMT 5)
- An increasingly multipolar world (GMT 6)
- Intensified global competition for resources (GMT 7)
- Growing pressures on ecosystems (GMT 8)
- Increasingly severe consequences of climate change (GMT 9)
- Increasing environmental pollution (GMT 10)
- Diversifying approaches to governance (GMT 11)
European briefings present the state, recent trends and prospects in 25 key environmental themes, grouped in three clusters: environment; socio-economic; and systemic perspectives.
Cross-country comparisons provide an analysis of progress across European countries for selected topics. They are based on EEA and Eurostat indicators.
- Agriculture — organic farming
- Air pollution — emissions of selected pollutants
- Biodiversity — protected areas
- Energy — energy consumption and share of renewable energy
- Freshwater quality — nutrients in rivers
- Mitigating climate change — greenhouse gas emissions
- Resource efficiency — material resource efficiency and productivity
- Transport — passenger transport demand and modal split
- Waste — municipal solid waste generation and management
Country briefings provide an overview of state of the environment across 39 European countries, based on national state of environment reports. Regional briefings cover three regions, identified as priority areas in the EU's 7th Environmental Action Programme.
*under the UN SCR 1244/99