Progress in management of contaminated sites
Assessment made on 01 Jan 2001
- Aug 01, 2007 - Progress in management of contaminated sites (CSI 015) - Assessment published Aug 2007
- Jul 29, 2005 - Progress in management of contaminated sites (CSI 015) - Assessment published Jul 2005
- Nov 04, 2003 - Soil-polluting activities from localised sources
- Nov 04, 2003 - Progress in the management of contaminated sites
- Nov 04, 2003 - Expenditure on remediation of contaminated sites
- Oct 23, 2001 - Percentage contribution to soil contamination from localised sources
ClassificationSoil (Primary theme)
Policy issue: Is the problem of contaminated areas being solved?
Some regions of the EU have completed the first stage of proper site management - a preliminary survey of potentially contaminated sites. While they have finished the first stage of a lengthy and expensive process, however, many other regions have not even begun.
Looking at the ?most advanced? regions is the best way of assessing just how long and expensive the entire remediation process will be across Europe. The EEA therefore looked at ten regions which have either completed or almost completed their preliminary surveys.
In most regions the second step ? a two-phase investigation of each site identified in the survey ? significantly lags behind the preliminary survey. While all ten have completed 80-100% of their preliminary survey, seven of them had not completed more than 20% of their main site investigations. There are substantial differences in progress at the subsequent stages (detailed investigations, planning of remediation, cleaning up polluted sites) between the surveyed regions .
This is almost certainly, at least partly, due to budgetary issues ? each step needs more money and time than the previous one, with the actual remediation process estimated to cost some ten times more than the original site investigation. No information is therefore, as yet, available on actual site remediation across the EU.
Download detailed information and factsheets
Progress in the Management of Contaminated Sites