Average age of the vehicle fleet (TERM 033) - Assessment published Sep 2010
Transport (Primary topic)
Typology: Descriptive indicator (Type A - What is happening to the environment and to humans?)
- TERM 033
Key policy question: Does the vehicle fleet replacement result in a reduction of the average age?
- The average age of road vehicles has recorded small changes during the period from 1995 to 2008.
- The average age of passenger cars, two-wheelers, buses and coaches slightly decreased, while the average age of light and heavy-duty vehicles increased.
- The registration of new vehicles has increased over the same period, suggesting that the penetration rate of modern technologies is accelerating.
TERM33 Average age of road vehicles
Note: TREMOVE results refer to 30 EEA member countries (that is EU-27 plus Norway, Switzerland Turkey).
Average age of road vehicles, 1995-2008 from TREMOVE v3.1
- The average age of passenger cars decreased slightly from 8.8 years in 1995 to 8.1 years in 2008 while that of the two-wheelers decreased from 14.0 to 13.2 over the same period. The average age of light and heavy-duty vehicles has increased from 9.7 and 10.7 respectively to 11.4 and 11.5 over the same period.
- The average age of passenger cars in the EEA varies widely between countries. The lowest average age for the year 2008 was observed in Luxembourg (3.8 years), highest in Greece and Cyprus (14.6 years). In general, diesel passenger cars have lower average age compared to petrol.
Average age of road vehicles
provided by Directorate-General for Environment (DG ENV)
More information about this indicator
See this indicator specification for more details.
Contacts and ownership
EEA Contact InfoCinzia Pastorello
EEA Management Plan2010 (note: EEA internal system)
Frequency of updates
For references, please go to www.eea.europa.eu/soer or scan the QR code.
This briefing is part of the EEA's report The European Environment - State and Outlook 2015. The EEA is an official agency of the EU, tasked with providing information on Europe’s environment.
PDF generated on 21 Sep 2014, 12:47 AM