Agriculture and forestry
Published (reviewed and quality assured)
Justification for indicator selection
- References Alcamo, J.; Moreno, J. M.; Nováky, B.; Bindi, M.; Corobov, R.; Devoy, R. J. N.; Giannakopoulos, C.; Martin, E.; Olesen, J. E.; Shvidenko, A., 2007. Europe. Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Parry, M. L.; Canziani, O. F.; Palutikof, J. P.; van der Linden, P. J. and Hanson, C. E. (eds.). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 541-580. EC, 2008a. Study on impacts of climate change on European forests and options for adaptation, EC-DG AGRI, European Forest Institute, 1st interim draft report of 31st March 2008. EC, 2008b. The economics of ecosystems and biodiversity, Interim Report. EEA, 2004. Mapping the impacts of recent natural disasters and technological accidents in Europe. Environmental issue report No 35, European Environment Agency, Copenhagen. EEA, 2006. Working paper. Climate Change: the Cost of Inaction -- A review of assessment studies with a focus on the methodologies used. Specific Agreement No 3570/B2005.EEA.52247. Final working paper, January 2006. Barbara Buchner, Michela Catenacci, Alessandra Goria (FEEM) Onno Kuik, Richard Tol IVM). IPCC, 2007b. Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Parry, M. L.; Canziani, O. F.; Palutikof, J. P.; van der Linden, P. J. and Hanson, C. E. (eds.). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. Marttila, V.; Granholm, H.; Laanikari, J.; Yrjölä, T.; Aalto, A.; Heikinheimo, P.; Honkatukia, J.; Järvinen, H.; Liski, J.; Merivirta, R. and Paunio, M., 2005. Finland's National Strategy for Adaptation to Climate Change. Publications series of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry of Finland, number 1a/2005. http://www.mmm.fi/sopeutumisstrategia/ . Munich Re, 2007. Naturkatastrophen in Europa, unpublished data.
- Projected crop yield changes between the 2080s and the reference period 1961-1990
Policy context and targets
In April 2009 the European Commission presented a White Paper on the framework for adaptation policies and measures to reduce the European Union's vulnerability to the impacts of climate change. The aim is to increase the resilience to climate change of health, property and the productive functions of land, inter alia by improving the management of water resources and ecosystems. More knowledge is needed on climate impact and vulnerability but a considerable amount of information and research already exists which can be shared better through a proposed Clearing House Mechanism. The White Paper stresses the need to mainstream adaptation into existing and new EU policies. A number of Member States have already taken action and several have prepared national adaptation plans. The EU is also developing actions to enhance and finance adaptation in developing countries as part of a new post-2012 global climate agreement expected in Copenhagen (Dec. 2009). For more information see: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/climat/adaptation/index_en.htm
No targets have been specified
Related policy documents
No related policy documents have been specified
Key policy question
Methodology for indicator calculation
Methodology for gap filling
No methodology references available.
EEA data references
- No datasets have been specified here.
External data references
- Projected crop yield changes
- Impacts of Climate Change on European Forests and Options for Adapation
Data sources in latest figures
Data sets uncertainty
No uncertainty has been specified
Short term work
Work specified here requires to be completed within 1 year from now.
Long term work
Work specified here will require more than 1 year (from now) to be completed.
Responsibility and ownership
EEA Contact InfoHans-Martin Füssel
Typology: Descriptive indicator (Type A - What is happening to the environment and to humans?)