EU Emissions Trading System (ETS) data viewer
- A detailed description of the viewer functionalities and of the underpinning data is provided in the User manual and background note.
- The following ETS information was extracted from the European Commission’s EUTL on May 3rd 2016. It was aggregated at national level and by type of activity on the basis of entity-level data.
- Allowances allocated free of charge (1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.2 and 1.1.3)
- Verified emissions (2)
- Surrendered units (4, 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3)
- The correction to freely allocated allowances (1.2) is introduced by the EEA to reflect transfers of allowances not reflected in the EUTL. It is based on additional information from Member States and the European Commission.
- The data on auctioned or sold allowances (1.3) are based on auction calendars and auction results published by the auctioning platforms for emission allowances in the EU ETS: the European Energy Exchange (EEX) and the Intercontinental Exchange (ICE).
- The data on total allocated allowances (1), and allowance correction (1.2) and auctions (1.3) are available at national level only. They can be split between aviation (10) and stationary installations (20-99). No further split by type of activity is possible. These data are therefore only presented when the following parameters are selected:
- EU ETS information: “10 Aviation” or “20-99 All stationary installations" (default selection)
- Size: "All sizes" (default selection)
- Active Entity: "All entities" (default selection)
- A certain number of allowances is auctioned at EU level, as part of the NER 300, a funding programme for innovative low-carbon energy demonstration projects. These allowances are visible when selecting “NER 300 auctions” in the category “Country”.
- The “Consistent scope adjustment to allowances and emissions since 2005” (3) is a correction, calculated by the EEA, of EUTL data on allocated allowances and verified emissions from 2005 until 2012, to align these data with the current scope of the EU ETS. It reflects successive changes in the scope of the EU ETS (new countries, activities, gases, etc.). Taking into account this scope correction is relevant for the analysis of trends over several years, in particular across trading periods.
- The data on surrendered units are available by type of units (EUAs and EUAAs (4.1)) CERs (4.2) and ERUs (4.3)) until 2012. From 2013 onwards, only the total of surrendered units (4) is available.
- The information on the type of activity of the entities covered by the EU ETS is based on the EUTL. It was further harmonised by the EEA, in order to merge activity type codes used in the first and second trading periods (and still used by a significant number of installations) with new activity type codes formally in use in the current trading period. This harmonisation was carried out on the basis of additional information available on the actual activity of installations.
For references, please go to http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/data/data-viewers/emissions-trading-viewer or scan the QR code.
PDF generated on 21 Jan 2017, 02:26 PM