- 30 % of Europe’s fish stocks (for which information exists) are fished outside safe biological levels. Click to view full-size image… 1 KB
- The consumption of fish in Europe has been increasing over the last 15 years while fish catches from European waters have decreased. Click to view full-size image… 1 KB
- Where marine species and habitat types have been assessed, the majority are found to be in unfavourable or unknown condition; only 10 % of habitats and 2 % of species are found in good condition. Click to view full-size image… 1 KB
- The sea surface temperature changes in the European regional seas have been up to six times greater than in the global oceans in the past 25 years. Click to view full-size image… 1 KB
- The current reduction of 0.1 in pH that has occurred over the industrial era translates to a 30 % increase in ocean acidity. This change has occurred at a rate that is about a hundred times faster than any change in acidity experienced during the past 55 million of years. A further decline of 0.3-0.4 pH units, projected for surface waters during the 21st century, represents a 100-150 % increase in acidity. Click to view full-size image… 1 KB
For references, please go to www.eea.europa.eu/soer or scan the QR code.
This briefing is part of the EEA's report The European Environment - State and Outlook 2015. The EEA is an official agency of the EU, tasked with providing information on Europe’s environment.
PDF generated on 30 Jan 2015, 04:32 AM