Title; Preface and Table of Contents
SUMMARY REPORT 1996
Topic report 2/97
Juan Manuel de Benito
European Topic Centre on Nature Conservation
This report was prepared under the supervision of Ulla
Pinborg, Project Manager,
The European Topic Centre on Nature Conservation (ETC/NC) was appointed in December 1994 by the European Environment Agencys Management Board to carry out specific tasks identified in the Agencys Work Programme.
The report for 1996 summarises the main results and points to future work needed. In 1996 the ETC/NC became increasingly involved in the Agencys reporting tasks and in collaboration with other ETCc, but the main tasks were still continuations of work started in 1995.
The ETC/NC performed the following main tasks in 1996:
- Technical support to the EU Commission in
handling incoming data from Member States on sites for the NATURA 2000 Network, including
assistance to a regional seminar for Macaronesia.
- Updating of information on datasources on
- Major work on definition of the content and
the first data collections for a European Information System on Nature - EUNIS - which
aims to serve both the Commissions NATURA 2000 information needs and the
Agencys wider reporting and integration needs.
- Development of a Pan-European descriptive
frame and revised Habitat classification.
- Development of first list of synonyms for
environmentally important species.
- Continuation of development of map on
ecological regions in Europe.
- Assistance in definition of indicators for the
Agencys reporting needs.
- Assistance to the Agency monograph on excess
nutrients in the environment.
- Assistance to the Agency in representation and preparation for meetings.
Table of contents
|2 Work Programme
|3 Progress During the Year
|4 Proposed ETC/NC Work
Programe Items for 1997
For references, please go to www.eea.europa.eu/soer or scan the QR code.
This briefing is part of the EEA's report The European Environment - State and Outlook 2015. The EEA is an official agency of the EU, tasked with providing information on Europe’s environment.
PDF generated on 07 Feb 2016, 03:17 PM