WISE WFD Database
- According to the WFD, from 22 December 2009, the RBMPs should be available for all RBDs across the EU. There are, however, serious delays in some parts of the EU, and in some countries consultations are still on-going.
- In May 2012, data from 161 RBDs was uploaded by Member States and incorporated into the WISE-WFD database. The WISE-WFD database also included data from Member States (Portugal, Spain, and Greece) that have not yet adopted RBMPs. There is still missing reporting from some Member States and RBDs, and reporting is incomplete on some issues.
- In addition to the River Basin Management Plans (RBMPs), Member States have reported a comprehensive set of data related to the results of the RBMPs (such as ecological status for each individual water body or significant pressures affecting a water body) to WISE (Water Information System for Europe). The EEA has a central role in the management of WISE due to the Agency’s role as the EU Data Centre for water. The reporting of RBMP data is described in the WFD-CIS Guidance No 21 (EC, 2009c).
- The development of the queries aims at supporting a number of assessment reports prepared by the European Commission and EEA. Some technical insight and familiarity with the terms and contexts used for the implementation of the WFD is required to make use of the tables.
- The data for characterising the status of water bodies (ecological, chemical, quantitative) can either be assessed by their numbers or by aggregations weighted by length of rivers or area of other water bodies. Both methods have advantages and drawbacks and aggregations from both methods are included in the tables.
Tables can be exported directly into Excel and downloaded for any further use, e.g. in research projects.
For references, please go to www.eea.europa.eu/soer or scan the QR code.
This briefing is part of the EEA's report The European Environment - State and Outlook 2015. The EEA is an official agency of the EU, tasked with providing information on Europe’s environment.
PDF generated on 19.04.2015 16:31