European Mobility Week 2010: travel smarter, live better
How you can make a difference
Get in shape and be friendly to the environment all at once!
- Journeys of less than 3 km may take less time if you walk, use a bike or take the bus. If taking your kids along, try using a skateboard, skipping rope or rollerblades!
- If you live far away from school, instead of driving your kids to and from school each day, start a car pooling initiative with the other parents and share the responsibility. It will save you time and petrol, and help the environment.
Keep your tyres properly inflated!
- This will reduce wear and tear and increase their longevity, thereby saving money. It also saves precious raw material: it takes 27 litres of crude oil to produce a new tyre. Under-inflated tyres also increase fuel consumption by up to 10 %. Check your tyres at least once a month.
- When driving your car, drive steadily and anticipate what is coming up. Avoid rapid acceleration and breaking as much as possible. This will decrease your fuel consumption.
- Article: Climate change "mitigation impossible" without transport
- EEA report: Towards a resource-efficient transport system — TERM 2009
- More green tips
- EEA report Ensuring quality of life in Europe's cities and towns
- Find out more on European Mobility Week and how to participate
- Press pack on European Mobility Week
For references, please go to http://www.eea.europa.eu/highlights/european-mobility-week-2010-travel or scan the QR code.
PDF generated on 11 Dec 2016, 07:28 AM