Work due Jan 01, 2099
Short-Term Plans (year):
Turn the current land take indicator into a spatially data based indicator (mainly, using CORINE Land Cover).
Then, it would be feasible to evaluate the most affected land cover type (agriculture, forest, etc.) due to the artificialization of the territory through the overlaying of the infrastructure database and the built-up areas with CORINE Land Cover database. When CLC2000 will be available, for example, the different growing patterns of the urban areas could be studied. Then, an estimation of the amount of land consumed by each type of developing pattern as well as the amount of land consumed by each transport mode (including its immediate surroundings) could be achieved and the subsequent analysis of the situation could be done.
Therefore, and in order to be able to estimate and evaluate the potential environmental impact of the transport infrastructure development and the increase of built-up areas, the main improvements foreseen for this indicator are the ones listed below:
- Implementation of a reliable spatial database of linear transport structures over European countries corresponding to types previously used in statistical datasets. Regarding the statistics already used, complete the national transport infrastructure statistics for certain countries.
- Update by comparable spatial data on transport for all countries, namely length according to various infrastructure types.
- Compare the statistical results of built-up changes with the results obtained through the analysis of spatial data, when CLC2000 database will be available.
- Data collection and analysis at national level. Storage of historical data is needed to allow calculations over time, instead of momentary status descriptions only.
- Update the land take by transport infrastructure indicator using GISCO-based transport infrastructure data set for calculations (recent updates of the database not available to the EEA / ETCs due to copyright restrictions) and using as well, commercially available data, with more detailed information on traffic networks and on built-up areas.
- Update the indicator using CORINE land cover 2000, with IMAGE 2000 (European satellite image coverage for year 2000). Data extension to other ACs: Malta, Cyprus and Turkey.
- Update and identification of new transport segments in spatial databases
- More frequent update of land cover based information (e.g. 5 years)
- Transport data in real size (direct and indirect land take)